Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 1996 23:28:16 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        Keith Bostic <bostic@bsdi.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: editors

Hi, Reference:
> From: Keith Bostic <bostic@bsdi.com>
>
> > Here are patches to implement a terser version of above on
> > FreeBSD-current/usr.bin/vi, ( to stop vi newbies getting stranded ).
> >
> > I've tested (& installed here) with set showmode ruler showdirty.
> > If someone would try them, & they're considered OK,
> > maybe they're acceptable for inclusion in src/ ?
>
> I'm hesitant to do this.  The reason is that this will require
> lots and lots of repaint characters whenever the lower line gets
> updated,

It's for people like my girlfriend (used to WordPerfect/Word), working
on local fast screens, but who rarely use or don't know vi.
Not for experienced vi users who do remote vi's under xterms
around the globe on slow links.
I doubt we (this list) would use this extended `showmode' much ourselves,
it's for our non-vi-familiar local associates.

> and it's not going to fit if the ruler option is on as well.

It does fit actually, (didn't when first implemented but I truncated the text,
before posting the patches).  All is OK with:
	resize		:li#45::co#65:
	:set all	lines=45  term="xterm" ruler  columns=65 showdirty
			nomodeline  showmode  window=44

> What I'd like to do is have a "novice" mode where vi splits the
> screen and puts a full help file into the lower half, with the
> common commands immediately visible.

Yes,  occured to me too, but I figured anything beyond a minor tweak
was best off leaving to the master :-)

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/