Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:52:56 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        martijn <martijn@tmenv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems with interchange-4.8.7 on FreeBSD 5.1 RELEASE

martijn wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to install and run interchange on my FreeBSD server.

Brave... it's not completely straightforward.

> I first
>updated the ports directory-> succesful. Then I did a
>"make -DCHECK_FOR_IC_USER all install". This went all well. A new user and
>group (interch) is added and it seems that it is installed properly. Next
>thing to do is creating a new catalog for interchange. Therfor I did the
>following:
>
>% cd /usr/local
>% bin/makecat
>
>A wizzard starts and I accepted all the defaults. And somewhere the wizzard
>is asking for the location of "vlink".

vlink does NOT seem to be compiled by the port installation process. You
need to compile it explicitly yourself as a second step.

> As I did not know what the right
>thing to do was. I searched for this file and found it in
>
>/usr/local/interchange/src/

No, you found files named:

compile.pl              mod_perl_tlink.pl       tlink.pl
config.h.in             mvctl.c                 vlink.c
configure               syscfg.in               vlink.pl
cpan_local_install      testcgi
mod_interchange         tlink.c

Either go into this directory and compile vlink, or use the perl script
tlink. The makecat process just copies one of these files to your
cgi-bin and renames it foundation, or whatever.

Interchange is a swine, in many ways. I run it myself for several
clients, on FreeBSD. If you need more help, maybe mail me off-list
becaus this is interchange, not FreeBSD. It's also a swine on Linux.

PWR.