Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 1995 09:16:55 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.0.5R -- Filesystems getting scrambled...

Doing a ``find / -type f -print | xargs cat >/dev/null'' causes a panic
because of scrambled filesystems.

2.0.5R, Pentium 75Mhz, ``Sis'' [?] chipset, 24 MB memory, onboard ide,
WD caviar 1.22G drive.

System installs OK, comes up OK, and a manual fsck *before* doing the above
looks OK.  After the panic and reboot FSCK reports essentially a trashed
disk (Inode 2 unknown type, etc...).

This is obviously a showstopper problem for me, since I have no way of
knowing what specific feature of the above pipeline is causing the
scrambling, and so I have no way of knowing if some other innocent
software or bumbling user will also scramble my file systems...

(Aside:  Does the FBSD group regression-test the OS?  I have reported other
problems caused by the above pipeline in the past.)

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430 Net: witr@rwwa.COM
     R.W. Withrow Associates, 319 Lynnway Suite 201, Lynn MA 01901 USA