Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:14:50 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpd, the Windows VPN Client and subnets

Hi,
> Sounds like DHCP...

is it really possible to use full-fledged DHCP on a "PPTP interface"?

> How is this IP assigned?  Does mpd do that?

No, the IP address is defined in the TCP/IP-settings dialog box of the
connection. I have to use this method. The clients boxes are laptops
with PCMCIA ethernet and modem. They will use the enternet connection
while their owners are in the office.

> based.  We have Win2k clients who connect to a central Win2k VPN box.

We already have a VPN box running on Mircosoft Windows NT, using Digital
Altavista Tunnel. And our experiences with that solution are one of the
reasons why I've started to build a FreeBSD VPN box.

> Once the subnet mask issue is solved, see if you can ping 'internal'
> IP's, or ssh to server IP's.

That's not the problem, I can reach the machines within the LAN over
the VPN connection with normal (non-broadcast) protocols.

> If so, setting up a WINS server may resolve browsing issues.

12 WINS servers :-( 6 NT domains, each with a primary and a backup domain
controller. And the M$ docs say that it would be a very good idea (read:
do this or you are doomed) to put a WINS server on each of them...

/s/Udo
--
Eat the rich -- the poor are tough and stringy.