Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:13:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Daniel T. Hagan" <dhagan@vt.edu>
To:        Paul Walsh <paul@nation-net.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Primary partition info erased

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Paul Walsh wrote:

> Is there a utility to help restore the primary partition information for
> a disk with a fipsed freeBSD partition?
>
> I'm not really sure how it got lost , but it was while I was using
> Win95, a couple of crashes later and I could no longer boot from the
> disk.
>
> BIOS finds it but then that's it.
>
> Are you going to tell me to reformat the disk, repartition and restore
> from backups? Fortunately I can , but I'm wondering about using the fips
> utility at all in the future.
>
> Regards Paul Walsh

As I recall from last year when I installed for the first time, there
should be a fips created backup of the hd's boot-table/mbr.  However I
could be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time either :-)).  If
you are warry of FIPS and you have to reinstall anyway, do this (or
something like it, since, again, I may have the order slightly wrong):

1. Fdisk drive to include a small DOS partition at front (~20MB).
2. Install FreeBSD using the 20Mb partition to help FreeBSD get the
geometry right (assuming you have a big drive).  I would delete the 20Mb
partition and install over it plus some during the FreeBSD install).
Don't bother to install the boot manager.
3. Install Win95 on remaining space. (watch out for BIOS boot limit, is it
540MB on PC's?  I can't remember.)
4. Pull boot manager off FreeBSD CD-ROM (or internet, whatever is
appropriate) and install it.

I used this procedure with my computer and it worked like a charm and no
FIPs threatening my HD's.

My setup:

1.2Gig WDCaviar EIDE
	500MB  FreeBSD
	700MB  Win95

1.6Gig WDCaviar EIDE
	700MB  FreeBSD
	900MB  Win95

Those sizes are estimated obviously, and from memory so they may not be
exact, but they are about right.

I know the EIDE's suck, but I can't afford SCSI (or else I'd have it
believe me).  And I'm sorry about the Win95, but I needed it for the word
processing for my classes.

Anyway, it works great, and hopefully will for you too,

Daniel

CS Major
dhagan@vt.edu