Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:51:22 -0700
From:      "Kendall Gifford" <kendall@jedis.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   An ipfw/nat port forwarding issue

Hello, I have a little problem in getting NAT port forwarding to work in
the
following situation. Situation:

We have a DSL connection to which a FreeBSD 4.4-Stable box is connected
called
foobar. Foobar is the LAN's NAT-firewall. Our web server is inside our
LAN and
all requests are naturally forwarded by natd. The problem is when LAN
clients
try to access our web server via foobar. Now, normally they are not
supposed to
as the LAN's primary DNS server (not foobar) returns the local address
for the
www server. But, sometimes the clients, I assume due to very short
time-outs,
insist on reverting to secondary DNS (foobar) which gives them foobar's
public
IP. So, when they try to visit the web site, it doesn't work. This is
what my
request for more information is:

Why doesn't this work? What goes on "inside" foobar when it receives
such a
request?

Just to give you more information about the situation, this situation
occurs
with my ipfw rules wide open (I merely divert to natd then allow all).
Also,
here are my uneducated guesses for the sake of letting you know I have
been
working on understanding this:

LAN requests for the external interface come in via the internal
interface,
pass through ipfw without any natd intervention, and are then foobar
try's to
service the www port 80 request (because it didn't get forwarded as natd
runs
on the external interface). Since foobar isn't serving up a www dinner,
the
client must starve. Am I close? Any suggestions?

Any help or general information is much appreciated.