Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:05:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        peaker@peaker.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Converting passwords

Matt Aaron wrote,
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently in the process of moving users accounts from a 3.0 machine
> over to a different 3.2 one.  Is there a way to convert the passwd
> file?  The 3.0 passwd file is MD5, while the 3.2 one is using
> DES encoding.  I don't have a listing of the passwords in plaintext
> unfortunatly, so I need a way to decrypt them, if possible.

If they were easy to decrypt, it would not be a very good password
algorithm now would it? There is no practical way to convert encrypted
passwords in one format to another (except to ask the users to re-enter
them all again).

However, you may be in luck. FreeBSD will have no trouble using both
MD5 and DES passwords in the same file. If there is no other reason to
try to convert them, you can just add the passwords as-is, and the OS
will know how to handle them. IIRC, there is absolutely no
configuration required for it to handle both types on a system that
has DES installed.

> I'm sorry if this sounds like a really strange problem, I'm about ready
> to pull out my hair :-).

It's actually a very frequent question.