Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:42:01 -0500
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Getting my 25G Seagate ST423451W to wake up!

My boss bought three Seagate ST423451W SCSI hard drives for massive storage
needs.

I was just beefing up our tape backup FreeBSD box (running amanda) and
thought it would be nice to replace our small 2G drive with one of the
larger 25G drives.

The original boot drive (and the 2G drive) uses the 58-pin ribbon cable.
Uh-oh. The new drives use the 68-pin ribbon cable. Now I remember why I
didn't replace the tape drive a few years earlier (we didn't have any other
drives that used the 58-pin connector) and I have an external tape drive on
the outside connector.

No worry, I've been rebuilding our servers for a while now so I just
grabbed a 4G ST34572W and figured I'd mate it with the ST423451W and be off
to the races!

Got a lovely ASUS P/I P6NP5 motherboard and an ASUS PCI-SC875 SCSI
Controller. I flashed the motherboard BIOS 'cause it was old. I did grab
the latest BIOS for the SCSI Controller but I don't think it actually
flashed as the BIOS appeared update to date.

My problem is, the SCSI controller just says "drive not ready" on the big
ST423451W drive. I hooked up it solo (with terminator cap ON) with no other
devices and same thing. The controller "see it" by name but during the boot
process, you never see the cylinders/heads/sectors numbers that I see with
the other drives.

I've tried different connectors on the SCSI cable (which is brand new).
I've tinkered a tad in the SCSI Bios Set-Up, eventually just reloading
factory defaults, but still, all I get is "drive not ready"

Any idea what I'm missing here? If I boot into FreeBSD you can see messages
where it's trying to "wake up" the larger drive and after a few minutes a
few lines pop up on the console saying the drive is not responding.

I realize this doesn't have anything to do with FreeBSD, but perhaps some
Scsi people may have some feedback.

-Gerry