Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:04:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Dave Runkle <drunkle@home.com>, Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best Time Synch Utility

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

> I am wondering how to keep a cluster of PCs in sync with each other within
> millisecond (loosely synchronized) even if the time of these PCs is not
> synchronized well with the outside world.  This can be used in a
> timestamped concurrency control protocol.  I wonder if ntpdate is good for
> this purpose.

That's what we use it for here.  It just so happens that the machine that
everything else is syncronizing with just happens to sync to an outside
source, but as long as you set up one machine to consider its own clock a
low precision, but nonetheless authoritative source, everything will sync
up with that machine.