Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 05:42:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      mark thompson <thompson@tgsoft.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trying to upgrade to 2.2

   From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
   Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 23:04:18 +0100 (MET)
   As mark thompson wrote:

   > My question is:
   > 1) is '../../contrib' a new idea in 2.2?

   Yes.  Basically, /usr/src/contrib contains the unmodified original
   distribution files (mostly), while local changes are maintained where
   they belong to.  The make process never descends into the `contrib'
   directory, but the files there are rather being used by .PATH and
   -I../../contrib/<something> stuff in the real Makefiles.

Ah. Well, that clears it right up. contrib was not in my cvsup file. Is
there an 'official' or 'sample' cvsup file for boneheads like me
somewhere, and I simply didn't find it? Or is creating one a sort of
intelligence test (obviously, i got only partial credit)?

-mark

p.s. I do like the 'contrib' idea. I just wish that it was clearer what
has to be done to upgrade.