Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:31:04 -0400
From:      Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "Gerard E. Seibert" <gerard@seibercom.net>
Subject:   Re: Sound Problem in KDE

--nextPart3184143.d9oq3EJx46

On Friday 02 June 2006 19:50, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
> Upon completion of a fresh installation of KDE on FreeBSD 6.1, I have been
> unable to get the sound to work correctly in KDE. Upon starting up of KDE,
> this error message is displayed:
>
> Sound server informational message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device busy)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
>
> I have tried rebooting the system, but the problem remains. since KDE did
> work with FSBD 5.4 on this PC, I am not sure what the problem might me.

You haven't provided a lot of information (sound card, dmesg etc...) but tr=
y=20
this:

Add this in your /etc/sysctl.conf file:
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=3D4
hw.snd.maxautovchans=3D4

Nicolas.

=2D-=20
=46reeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Sat May 27 11:58:25 EDT 2006    =20
root@clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A=20
PGP? : http://www.clkroot.net/security/nb_root.asc