Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:59:16 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@LUCIDA.CA>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video Capture/TV cards -- reports from the field

Matt Heckaman <matt@LUCIDA.CA> types:
> The first card I'm looking at is the AIMS Video Highway XTreme 98, which
> according to the bktr(4) man page, is known to work. I'd be interested to
> hear about its quality though.
>
> The second is the ATI TV Wonder, which I could not determine if it is
> compatible or not. This is the card I would rather pick up, so if anyone
> knows on its status working/not, I'd love to hear :)

The ATI cards aren't supported in the core FreeBSD
distribution. There's some userland code available from a third party;
you'll have to look around for it. However, ATI tends to change
chipsets without changing the card name, and that code didn't support
all the available chipsets when I checked on it.

I'd recommend sticking with the AIMS card.

	<mike