Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:58:23 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@jmslivko.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Stephen Cass <s.cass@ieee.org>
Subject:   Re: IEEE Journalist looking for facts about Microsoft use of BSD code

The copy right header is no longer required, and may be deleted if since
1999

This is from the Berkeley public ftp server.

NOTE: The copyright of UC Berkeley's Berkeley Software Distribution
("BSD")
source has been updated.  The copyright addendum may be found at
ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change and is
included below.

July 22, 1999

To All Licensees, Distributors of Any Version of BSD:

As you know, certain of the Berkeley Software Distribution ("BSD") source
code files require that further distributions of products containing all
or
portions of the software, acknowledge within their advertising materials
that such products contain software developed by UC Berkeley and its
contributors.

Specifically, the provision reads:

"     * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
software
*    must display the following acknowledgement:
*    This product includes software developed by the University of
*    California, Berkeley and its contributors."

Effective immediately, licensees and distributors are no longer required
include the acknowledgement within advertising materials.  Accordingly,
the
foregoing paragraph of those BSD Unix files containing it is hereby
deleted
in its entirety.

William Hoskins
Director, Office of Technology Licensing
University of California, Berkeley

"Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@jmslivko.org>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
06/20/2001 08:56 AM