Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:28:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@fly.HiWAAY.net>
To:        brian@garage.co.jp, kris@airnet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what are all the different users for?

Kris Kirby <kris@ninbox.ml.org> wrote:
> Brian Takashi Hooper wrote:
>
> > As a related question, can anyone tell me for sure if it's ok to change
> > the login shell for root? I am used to using bash, so I'd like to use
> > that; however, is there anything that depends on root being /bin/csh?
> >
> I knew this one guy who accidentally blew away csh and couldn't start a
> root shell without kernel -s because he exited before he noticed the
> problem. Now he keeps a root shell running with sh and open so he
> doesn't goof up ;-)

Groan. Some people will do anything.

root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:

I forget if toor is in the default /etc/passwd or if I added it.
But its there in case csh gets mangled, or the root account gets
mangled (~/.cshrc for example).

Once Upon A Time under Irix 3.3.3, a space got appended to the
end of root's /etc/passwd entry. As silly as that may seem, it
was enough to keep root out. I learned my lesson well.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)