Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 01:29:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      James <jamesh@etsu.edu>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jhhiggins@prodigy.net

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Mark Mayo wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 04:14:07PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> [See the thread for the rest of the discussion :)]
>
> > What do you others think?
>
> I think that if you create a -newbies, a significant portion of
> the questions that currently go to -questions will go to -newbies.
> Why? If I were a newbie, and I had a problem, I would go "Oh,
> a newbie list! I'll ask there!". So I think it would get significant
> traffic. For this reason, it would be impossible for Sue to
> formally moderate it in any way..

That would at least be my logic... albeit that is sometimes broken... :)

> I think a -newbies wouldn't necessairly be bad (in this statement
> I'm admitting that my initial reaction was: yeah, right..). It
> might direct the truly simple questions away from -questions,
> which might in turn become the generic questions list for everyone.
>
> Right now, if it's a newbie question, it goes to -questions. If the
> question is moderately advanced, it goes to -hackers when it should
> really go to -questions IMHO. So I guess I'm saying that adding
> a -newbies list might help successfully 3-tier the lists into
> something a little more logical. Maybe not..

I think that is somewhat of an ideal situation.  I think this could also
tend to run into the same overlap problems that Greg mentions on his web
page. (http://www.lemis.com/questions.html)

That bieng too generic questions for -newbies, and overly technical
questions for -questions.

// end and sigs snipped

James