Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:01:49 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Symbios 875 activity LED?

Ollivier Robert writes:
> According to David Kelly:
> > otherwise unused "Turbo LED" wires. Observed the internal LED works at
> > boot time. And lights the external too. But still not under FreeBSD.
> > There was some talk of this long time ago. Did it not make it into the
> > distribution?
>
> Add the following to your config. file. Why it is not the default just
> escape me...
>
> options     SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT # for LEDs

Done! Have rebooted 18 times today. Looks like another is on the way.
I've had the darndest problems with a pure elf kernel (first time I've
tried that). It seems that when I'd do a "shutdown -r" as myself (a
member of group "operator") that /etc/nologin was not being deleted.
Proceeded to update /etc/rc* for proper /modules loading. That didn't
help. Think when I changed out /etc/login.conf things got fixed. Am
thinking as soon as "make buildworld" is fixed again it is time for a
clean disk reinstall.

BTW: not only is the above option not in GENERIC, its not in LINT
either. Looked there (actually for other things) before posting. Grep
just found it for me in /usr/src/sys/pci/ncr.c.

You mean this is all there was to it and I've been without a blinking
light all this time? You mean all they had to do was smack one tiny tiny
little bit? Doesn't seem worth and ifdef. :-)  Can only assume somebody
knows more than I do and this is really important to keep from breaking
something.

#ifdef  SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT
        if (!(np->rv_gpcntl & 0x01))
                np->features |= FE_LED0;
#if 0   /* Not safe enough without NVRAM support or user settable option */
        if (!(INB(nc_gpreg) & 0x08))
                np->features |= FE_DIFF;
#endif
#endif  /* SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT */