Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:19:57 +0100
From:      morten@hotpost.dk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs OpenBSD

The cacophony of voices in my head
Inform me that Nikolay N. Semenov said:
> Hello,
>
> Just tried to compare that UNIX clones
> but still unaware of their real differences
> except that OpenBSD is more security-oriented.

OpenBSD is a more "full" UNIX, it has OpenSSH, sudo kerberos and such
installed in the base system.

OpenBSD uses blowfish to encrypt passwords, it doesn't have as big a
ports collection as FreeBSD.

OpenBSD have the best manpages I've ever seen, I love them.

I personally fell more comfortable using OpenBSD, but it's an unfair
comparison, I have used Free for 2 weeks, Open for nearly a year ...

OpenBSD is a rather small project compared to FreeBSD, and OpenBSD runs
on far more hardware platforms than FreeBSD, which may or may not be
important for you.
That's quite a difference.

Just my thoughts and opinions ... YMMV

HAND
                   Morten

PS: I've just had to unsubscribe from this list, couldn't cope with the
    volume. :-(
    If you absolutely wanna talk to me CC me directly.

--
lynx -source http://home1.stofanet.dk/liebach/pgpkey.html | gpg --import -
UNIX, reach out and grep someone!