Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:36:47 -0500
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Val <val@hcol.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backing up with dump multiple file systems.

On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 04:52:35PM -0600, Val wrote:

> Somewhere I read that you can tell the tape not to rewind, but I don't
> know how to do that.

The tape devices with an "n" do not rewind on close.  If you've been
using "/dev/rst0", backup to "/dev/nrst0" instead.  To get the
tape to rewind at the end, either backup the last filesystem to the
regular device (without the "n") or use "mt rewind" when you are
done.

> Also, if I tell it not to rewind the tape, how would restore work then?

restore takes an argument "s" that tells it which once you want.
If you want to restore the second filesystem on the tape, you might
use "restore rs 2".

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Think locally, act globally.
http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.