Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:13:54 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Win200 gateway blocking FBSD html?

Robert Storey wrote:

>I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD client machine for a school.

>The client machines are connected to a switch, which is connected to a Windows 2000 gateway machine to access the Internet. I set up a FBSD client, and using dhcp it can find the network.

And Windows clients are set also to get their network settings
automatically. This will include those that are managed by dhcp. I
assume from what you say that the FreeBSD machine is successfully
gaining a valid ip address, netmask, gateway (router) address and is
resolving domain names.

> I can ping the gateway machine, and even ping the local ISP. I can also use gftp to access some anonymous ftp sites (such as FreeBSD.org) though performance seems slow.
>
>The problem - I cannot access any web sites with http. Doesn't matter if I use Konqueror, Mozilla or Lynx. Yet, all the Windows machines on this network can browse the web (using Internet Explorer) without difficulty.

Another type of automatic setting used _by default_ in Windows networks
is the use of a proxy server on the gateway machine for http
connections. This setting is also made automatically on the Windows
clients, but not on your FreeBSD machine.

Look in the internet control panel on a Windows client and check the
proxy server settings. If I remember right, you'll want to use port 8080
on the gateway as a proxy server for http connections.

HTH.

PWR.