Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 16:26:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <jan.grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solved (pilot error) Re: (some?) startup scripts being run twice..?

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Jan Grant wrote:

> I'm running a stock freebsd-stable as a workstation. I'm seeing
> something unusual: it looks like some startup scripts are being run
> twice when the machine boots.
>
> Originally I caught this because an old-fashioned /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> script was being called twice. However, on looking closer it seems that
> I'm getting ntpd launched twice as well. There may be others that bomb
> out - but has anyone got any suggestions as to what might be causing
> this?
>
> rc.conf is boring (just turns on a bunch of the usual suspects you'd see
> on a workstation); I can't see in /etc/rc why this might be occurring.

Tracked this down: fwiw, from /etc/rc.conf -

local_startup="/etc/rc.d /usr/local/etc/rc.d /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d"

The /usr/local/etc/rc.d old-fashioned startup script was being called
twice due to the double invocation of /etc/rc.d/localpkg.

Cheers,
jan

--
jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/