Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:13:59 -0500
From:      Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparz@iastate.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: IPFW rules question

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 12:49:00PM -0700, Tim Erlin wrote:
> two quick questions:
>
> 1. How do I get ipfw to read rc.firewall without
> restarting? It's not listed as a process, so I can't
> send it a HUP signal...

Just invoke /etc/rc.firewall.  Make sure all of the shell variables
that rc.firewall references are properly set.  You may want to create
a shell script that does it, or create a shell script that completely
takes over IPFW configuration and run it from rc.firewall/rc.local/whatever
on startup.  In the latter case you'd basically rerun that script...

> 2. What's wrong with this rule?
>
> ipfw add deny all from any to 192.168.40.7 587

Protocol ``any'' means IP, and IP does not have a concept of port.
Port numbers only make sense for TCP and UDP.

Krzysztof