Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 17:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wit's End trying to install news port

Okay, either I'm doing something *really* wrong or the news port is hosed
up (I suspect the former). I have been trying in vain to install the news
port from the main Makefile. Making the executables worked, but I am stuck
on doing the `make install' phase. First it bombed on the first place it
tried to do `su -m bin'; csh returned a "permission denied" as it tried to
cd to the ports directory, which was originally set to all be owned by
root/wheel. I am running the make as root. By changing the ownership to
root/bin (probably a no-no) it got past that point. Now it bombs with the
same error on trying to do `su -m news' (for "relay"). What ownerships are
supposed to be in the ports heirarchy and the various system accounts?

--- /etc/passwd
bin:*:3:7:Binaries Commands and Source,,,:/:
news:*:8:8:News Subsystem:/:

-Dave Babler