Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:08:09 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to know what DNS server is being used

--------------enigD99245F0B01B2CC172911DFF

Robert Huff wrote:
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:
>=20
>>  > On my registrars site I have two DNS servers listing. How would
>>  > I know that 1) both are working. 2) which one is being used.
>> =20
>>  For #2, do you mean by the world at large?  Which one is being
>>  used when people look up your domain and hosts in your domain?
>>  Both of them should get used.  I don't know what algorithm is
>>  used but both will be used by people.
>=20
> 	As I understand it, when presented with a list of N>1 possible
> nameservers standard resolver libraries will pick one at random and
> continue to use it until something changes (nameserver goes
> off-line, local cache is flushed, etc.).

On recent FreeBSD, the resolver actually iterates through the listed
nameserver lines in order, sending the query out to each in turn until
it gets a response.  It used to be that the resolver would wait for the
full 30s DNS timeout before trying the next server (hence the cry dreaded=

by sysadmins everywhere that "the Internet is slow today"), but nowadays
if the resolver hasn't got an immediate answer it will initiate the secon=
and subsequent queries after a wait of some number of milliseconds and
then wait for a response from all of the queried servers.  Means that if
your first listed DNS server is down, users don't notice the delay before=

the second server is queried.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20