Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 03:05:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        K.J.Bosschaart@tue.nl
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG

On 23-Oct-00 Karel J. Bosschaart wrote:

> I'm getting my mail via a MS Exchange server. I'm fetching it with fetchmail,
> which delivers it to sendmail on my FreeBSD PC. Procmail is filtering it to
> several mailboxes and I read it with mutt.
>
> I subscribed some of the FreeBSD mailing lists and use the "Sender:" header
> to filter them; it's in fact the filter that was mailed couple of months
> ago to the -chat (?) mailing list and I'm very happy with it: simple and
> efficient. However, it turns out that the Exchange server sometimes (in less
> than 10 % of the emails) throws out the "Sender:" header, so the filtering
> fails. I mailed the local helpdesk about it and they say that 'the "Sender:"
> header is not a required header so this is not a bug but by design' and I
> have
> to change my filter.
>
> It seems weird to me that random nukes of mail headers would be normal.
> Anyway, I went back to my old mail address that does not pass the Exchange
> server. No problems anymore! Except for the fact that I don't know how long
> this will be supported by my University.
>
> Can someone tell me where in fact is the faulty behaviour? The use of
> non-required headers by the FreeBSD lists or the 'design' of Exchange?

Absolute BS.

From RFC822 :

     4.4.2.  SENDER / RESENT-SENDER

        This field contains the authenticated identity  of  the  AGENT
        (person,  system  or  process)  that sends the message.  It is
        intended for use when the sender is not the author of the mes-
        sage,  or  to  indicate  who among a group of authors actually
        sent the message.  If the contents of the "Sender" field would
        be  completely  redundant  with  the  "From"  field,  then the
        "Sender" field need not be present and its use is  discouraged
        (though  still legal).  In particular, the "Sender" field MUST
        be present if it is NOT the same as the "From" Field.

        The Sender mailbox  specification  includes  a  word  sequence
        which  must correspond to a specific agent (i.e., a human user
        or a computer program) rather than a standard  address.   This
        indicates  the  expectation  that  the field will identify the
        single AGENT (person,  system,  or  process)  responsible  for
        sending  the mail and not simply include the name of a mailbox
        from which the mail was sent.  For example in the  case  of  a
        shared login name, the name, by itself, would not be adequate.
        The local-part address unit, which refers to  this  agent,  is
        expected to be a computer system term, and not (for example) a
        generalized person reference which can  be  used  outside  the
        network text message context.

        Since the critical function served by the  "Sender"  field  is
        identification  of  the agent responsible for sending mail and
        since computer programs cannot be held accountable  for  their
        behavior, it is strongly recommended that when a computer pro-
        gram generates a message, the HUMAN  who  is  responsible  for
        that program be referenced as part of the "Sender" field mail-
        box specification.

and RFC821:
4.5.2.  TRANSPARENCY
         The mail data may contain any of the 128 ASCII characters.  All
         characters are to be delivered to the recipient's mailbox
         including format effectors and other control characters.  If
         the transmission channel provides an 8-bit byte (octets) data
         stream, the 7-bit ASCII codes are transmitted right justified
         in the octets with the high order bits cleared to zero.

            In some systems it may be necessary to transform the data as
            it is received and stored.  This may be necessary for hosts
            that use a different character set than ASCII as their local
            character set, or that store data in records rather than
            strings.  If such transforms are necessary, they must be
            reversible -- especially if such transforms are applied to
            mail being relayed.

a search also hits RFC1123 & RFC2076;
* Note the 'must be' and 'critical funtion' phrases.

embrace and extend don'cha know, like a Boa constrictor
will embrace & extend a small rodent

Regards,
--
Don Read                     dread@texas.net
There are old sailors, and there are foolish