Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:01:31 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passing file descriptors via UNIX domain sockets

In message <199908212022.VAA04816@keep.lan.Awfulhak.org>, you wrote:

>Take a look at the ppp(8) code - specifically at
>bundle_ReceiveDatalink() and bundle_SendDatalink() in bundle.c.

Yep!  That's the ticket alrightee!  That's exactly what I was looking
for.  That code is most helpful as an example, and I am now gleefully
(and successfully) passing file descriptors!

(I found the exact code you mentioned late last night, after I posted
my question to freebsd-questions.  DUH!  I guess I should have gone
grepping sources before I bothered everybody here.  Sorry.)

-- rfg

P.S.  The capability to pass open file descriptors between processes...
even between otherwise unrelated processes... is way cool!  I can do some
neat things with this!  Too bad the little pair of programs I wrote (just to
see if I could actually make this fd passing stuff work) doesn't actually
work under the Linux 2.2.7 kernel I have installed :-( even though it
works just fine on FreeBSD. :-)