Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:44:20 +0000
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        nsouch@freebsd.org, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lpbb broken in 6.x?

Ian Smith wrote:
> To finish off completely hijacking your thread :) does anyone know of
> anything that can run a master/slave interface like pcf(4) which appears
> to have been an ISA bus only device?  I don't have C skills to write
> one, though 400kHz master and slave routines in AVR asm were fun :)
>
> Later: after nearly losing this in a pine crash (don't ask), I've since
> seen John's reply to your later message.  Could it be that smbus or
> something is also using iicbus rather than something messing with ppbus?

Thanks for the hints. I don't have smbus in the kernel, nor do I have
any other i2c device drivers loaded in the system.

I stopped using smbus when it became pretty clear that it wasn't doing
anything useful for me (it could never see CPU fan readouts or anything
like that when I tried it on 3 different PIII era systems).

I agree a pcf(4) style interface would go some way towards solving the
problem, however, solder plus 74LS05 costs next to nothing, plus the
"leet value" of having a circuit schematic in the man page had to be
tried out. I think we're losing out there if it's not working, though.

PS OpenBSD look like they took NetBSD's i2c and ran with it...

cheers
BMS