Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:22:42 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backup method reccommendation?

On Monday, 11 October 1999 at  1:50:16 +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Paul D . Schmidt <pds@uberhacker.org> wrote:
>
>> come up with a good method for backing up my system.  I was reading about
>> dump/restore, but a dump backup couldn't be used to restore from a 3.2
>> system to a 3.3 system,
>
> How did you get that idea?
> I strongly suggest to use dump/restore.

dump and restore are fine if you really only ever want to restore to
the same operating system.  They're not portable across different
systems.  For this reason, I prefer tar.

>> I thought about using tar, then I can just tar everything up and then
>> selectively restore files or directory trees....
>
> tar as shipped with FreeBSD can't backup all devices in /dev.

Correct.  The version in -CURRENT (and thus in a -RELEASE coming soon)
can do this, however.  And normally that's not an issue, since you can
rebuild devices with MAKEDEV.

>> Also, I would need to do something like mt rewind before starting my
>> backup, correct?
>
> Customarily tapes are rewound at the end of the backup.

That depends on what you ask for.  It's possible to remove a QIC tape
without rewinding it, but DDS, Exabyte and DLT all have to be rewound
before you can remove them.  If you're using the non-rewind tape
device, however, you may need to do an explicit rewind.  In most
cases, 'mt unload' is more useful than 'mt rewind'.

Greg