Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:58:38 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Fadi Sodah <sodah@qatar.net.qa>
Cc:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape(ulimit)

Fadi Sodah wrote:

> > > i am using netscape as email-client and http-browser,
> > > when i try to send a email msg, i keep getting
> > > "Netscape is out of memory, Try quitting someother
> > > applications or closing some windows."
> > > (...)
>
> konrad Heuer wrote
>
> > Please take a look at the per-process limits depending on you login shell:
> >   sh, bash, ksh, zsh:
> >     ulimit -dH
> >     ulimit -dS
> >   csh, tcsh:
> >     limit -h data
> >     limit data
> > You'll se the hard and soft limits, and you can raise the soft limit
> > as long as you don't exceed the hard limit (the latter one is set by
> > /etc/login.conf), e.g.:
> >
> >   ulimit -dS 65536
> > or
> >   limit data 64m
> > set the data region size to 64 MB.
>
> hi again
>
> i played with command ulimit/limit of my data limit,
> now i am not able to start X-Win server
> it breaks down !!!  :-(
> where should i modify the soft/hardware
> limit of my data?
>
> i have the following listing
> --------------
> as root
> $limit
> cputime           unlimited
> filesize            unlimited
> datasize          524288kb
> stacksize        65536kb
> coredumpsize  unlimited
> memoryuse       32768kb
> memorylocked  unlimited
> maxproc            64
> openfiles            360
>
> ------------------
> as user
> bash$ ulimit -Hd
> 524288
> bash$ ulimit -Sd
> 22528
>
> ------------------
> bash$ ulimit -a
> core filesize(blocks)       unlimited
> data seg size (kb)            22528
> file size (blocks)              unlimited
> max locked memory(kb)   10240
> max memory size (kb)       30720
> openfiles                             64
> pipe size (512)                    1
> stacksize(kb)                       8192
> cpu time (seconds)            unlimited
> max user process                64
> virtual memory (kb)            30720
>
> --------------
> my bsd box has:
> freebsd 2.2.6 rel
> netscape communicator4.04
> swap 73megs
> ram 32megs

FWIW, I have the same problem (Netscape running out of memory) and I'm
running :

FreeBSD 2.2.7 rel
Netscape Communicator 4.05
RAM 64MB
Swap 192MB

So it's not specific to fbsd & netscape versions, or lack of swap. I'm
watching this thread carefully in the hope of finding a solution.

> thx in advance
> pons

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com