Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 2000 22:25:19 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   God I feel stupid (gcc issue)

I've been going through the PR database, thinking maybe it was my turn
to do something for FreeBSD.  I looked at pr bin/2036.  Problem?  long
isn't big enough to count all the bytes we could hold.  So I look in the
code and find

/* Total number of bytes read and written for all files.
   Now that many tape drives hold more than 4Gb we need more than 32
   bits to hold input_bytes and output_bytes.  But it's not worth
   the trouble of adding special multi-precision arithmetic if the
   compiler doesn't support 64 bit ints since input_bytes and
   output_bytes are only used to print the number of blocks copied.  */
#ifdef __GNUC__
long long input_bytes, output_bytes;
#else
long input_bytes, output_bytes;
#endif

in global.c

So I thought, "we don't define __GNUC__?"  I figured I'd check.  After
much mind wracking, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get gcc
to output a list of what is and isnt defined by default...  help!

--
Laurence Berland