Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:32:16 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg-7.3 and swapped CTRL_L and Caps_Lock

--==_Exmh_1190053936_50983P

> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:37:47 +0100
> From: Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I run with the Caps Lock and Left Control keys swapped. I also run Gnome
> > which has a systems preference to set this. It worked fine until I
> > updated to xorg-7.3 and now, when the session starts, they are not
> > swapped and xemacs complains about improper keyboard configuration.
> >
> > If I bring up the setup for the keyboard, it claims that the swap is
> > selected and, after exiting the setup window, they almost are. The only
> > remaining problem is that I have to press the ALT before I press CTRL to
> > have the combination accepted. If I press them together, the system only
> > sees the CTRL. (Note: I probably tend to hit CTRL slightly before ALT
> > when pressing them together.)
> >
> > I suppose it's an interaction between xorg and xklavier, but it was fine
> > prior to the upgrade to xorg.
>
> Have you tried manually updating libxklavier to 3.3.

I have a bit more information. If I have "Options XkbOptions
ctrl:swapcaps" in my xorg.conf file and tell gnome to use the X setting
instead of its own, the keys map correctly on startup.

I still have no CapsLock LED and I still need to be sure to press Alt
before CTRL when I need to enter CRTL-ALT-anything, but it's much less
annoying.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)