Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:28:03 +0800
From:      "Paul Hamilton" <paulh@bdug.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Enumerating a Windows based PC from a FreeBSD based server

Hi,

I am trying to document which managed switch port (HP 4000m), a users PC =
is
plugged into.  I had thought to use a login script to dump some info =
into a
MySQL DB, but I am now leaning on scanning the switch, and build up the =
data
backwards from there.  The info will all end up on a PHP searchable web
page.  I should then be able to track admin logins (does anyone know the
passwd?), have some users given their username and passwd to someone =
else to
use? Etc.

I have found the SNMP OID's of the IP and MAC addresses and the switch =
port
number the computer is plugged into.  From a DNS lookup, I can find the =
PC
name, but how do I find out the current logged in user name on the PC,
remotely from a FreeBSD server?

The GFI LanGuard network scanner is a very informative tool:
http://www.gfi.com/lannetscan/  so having something similar to this on a
FreeBSD server would be great. The utility must of course be scriptable.

Cheers,

Paul