Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2005 22:47:43 +0800 (CST)
From:      Vincent Chen <vctw@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD maillist <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   fxp driver on freebsd 4.7?

Hi, all

I tried to install a new intel 82550 based ethernet adapter on my freebsd 4.7.
In the first time, I don't want to recompile my kernel. So, I add the following
line to /boot/loader.conf:

if_fxp_load="YES"

The driver loaded and the adapter identified as fxp0. But the system reboot
every time while I tried to run ifconfig on fxp0. Did I do anything wrong using
loadable module? Or loadable module support not stable on this release.

The second time, I compile fxp driver to my new kernel and every thing seem
work ok. This 82550 adapter has 3des support bulletin, how can I identify this
function enabled? I alread use link0 parameter on ifconfig to load microcode as
manual page instructed.

Thanks,

Vincent Chen

Yahoo!奇摩造型精靈