Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:25:56 +0100
From:      "Stefano Spinucci" <virgo977virgo@gmail.com>
To:        "Dennis Melentyev" <dennis.melentyev@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation problems of FreeBSD 7 beta 2 on Dell D610 (multiboot con solaris, linux, winxp)

On 11/27/07, Dennis Melentyev <dennis.melentyev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 2007/11/27, Stefano Spinucci <virgo977virgo@gmail.com>:
> > I encountered some problems installing FreeBSD 7 beta 2 on my Dell
> > D610 laptop, on the original 60 gb hd; the hd is formatted as follows:
> > - primary 1, 15 gb, ntfs for Windows XP
> > - primary 2, 15 gb, solaris for Open Solaris
> > - primary 3, 10 gb, fat32 for FreeBSD
> > - extended, 20 gb, 3 partitions for linux
> >
> > I tried to install FreeBSD many times, but after the geometry error
> > (the geometry is however correctly recognized), FDISK doesn't find any
> > partition and the space is shown as free, unpartitioned.
> >
> > I tried to set the partition type for FreeBSD to FAT16, FAT32, FreeBSD
> > and I also reformatted the partition many times, but with no success.
> >
> > have you any idea???
>
> Are you kidding?
> If no, just read the handbook. And check the partition type for
> FreeBSD. FAT[13][26] is for MustDie.
>
> --
> Dennis Melentyev

I'm not kidding.

I read the handbook before installing, before writing this emai and
now and, correct me if I'm wrong, FDISK should recognize existent primary
partitions; then, *inside* FDISK, I can format the primary partiton (for me #3)
for FreeBSD.

from section 2.6.2 of the Hankbook
"The second section [of FDISK] shows the slices that are currently on
the disk, where they start and end, how large they are, the name
FreeBSD gives them, and their description and sub-type."

Then I repeat my question:
why FDISK shows my disk (with 3 primary partitions and an extended partition)
as a single block of unused space ???

If you have some useful ideas (and not, RTFManual/MailingList is not an useful
idea) please reply me.

thanks

---
Stefano Spinucci