Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:33:57 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridging wlan to gif?

Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to bridge a wlan interface to a gif tunnel on 8.0-BETA2.
> Running tcpdump on wlan0 I see DHCP packets coming in as IP packets,
> on gif0 however tcpdump shows ethernet headers prepended.  Needless
> to say things do not work as expected.
>
> What I try to accomplish is the following:
>
>   +------+      +--------------+     +-------+
>   |      | .... |ath0      bge0|-----|Router |     Gateway
>   |      |      |wlan0     gif0|     +-------+    +----------+
>   |      |      | \       /    |         |        |  gif0    |
>   |      |      |  bridge0     |      Internet    |    \     |
>   |      |      |              |         |        |  bridge0 |
>   +------+      +--------------+     +-------+    |       \  |
>     Wifi          Access point       |Router |----|fxp0  fxp1|---- LAN X
>    client          8.0-BETA2         +-------+    +----------+

nice diagram....

you can't bridge gif as it doesn't have a MAC header
if yo want to bridge the wifi net and LAN X then tha tis another
matter and you can probably do that., but you are goin gto have to use
a different way to do it..

Might I suggest a netgraph bridge, where the tunnel is implemented as
a tcp or UDP socket layer (optionally with ipsec).

use a netgraph bridge node on each side, and connect them
using ksocket nodes which are linked to each other.

you might also find that you can use mpd as a good link between them.

I've done this in the past but do not have working examples in
front of me.