Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 23:15:40 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        murban@webzone.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD for Web server?

On 1 Jan 97, at 22:31, Mike Urban wrote:

> I'm very new to FreeBSD (I got it because I am setting up a web server),
> but I have some experience with Linux. I have heard that FreeBSD is a
> better platform for running a web server then Linux. This is why I got it.
> Honestly, is this true? I am more familliar with Linux so I would set the
> web server up under it. I know Linux would have no problem handling it at
> first, but I want to allow for future growth without having to change OS's
> later.

I'm new to FreeBSD.  I started about a year ago.  I've never used UNIX
before that (except at university and that was centuries ago).  I've been
strictly a DOS/Windows/NT person.  My background is software design.  From
what I've seen of the way things are laid out in FreeBSD, I like it.  The
locations of the system files, the config files, and the binaries make
sense.  Once you learn the rules.

Knowing Linux will probably help you more than it will hinder you.  Just
be prepared to accept that things are different.  If I understand
correctly, Linux is quite un-UNIX-like in several areas (I have no
experience with Linux).  It those differences which you'll have to get
used to.

> I have nothing against FreeBSD. I am just familliar with Linux and not
> FreeBSD. Do you think there would be a real benifit in learning FreeBSD?

The more you know the better off you will be.  Knowing two OSs will be
more useful than knowing just one.

> Or should I just go with what I know?

That is the safe option.  But safe is often boring.  Live dangerously.

> Is it true that FreeBSD will be a
> lot better for running the web server?

From what I understand, yes.  Not that this is any indication, but this
box of mine is running apache (about 10 different web pages including the
NZ FreeBSD mirror), sshd, sendmail, a few mailing lists, and ftp.  It acts
as a firewall/gateway.  And it's never missed a beat.   The uptime on my
NT workstation is 30 days.  Compare that to:

$ uptime
11:13PM  up 100 days,  6:08, 6 users, load averages: 1.00, 1.01, 1.00

And that's a 486 with 16M of RAM.

Ride fast.  Take chances.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited