Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:49:51 -0800
From:      Mark <mark@etinc.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dennis@etinc.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD cant boot from ZIP - Is it true?

>> Whats the "trick"?

>There shouldn't be any trick; as long as you have the 'atapifd' driver
in

>your kernel, and the correct entries in /etc/fstab on the disk, you

>should be fine.

>Where does the confusion arise?  When you're trying to find the kernel,

>or when you're mounting root?  Are you installing to the disk, or

>building a root filesystem manually?

>If you're having trouble mounting root, check what the kernel says it's

>trying to mount and if it's not /dev/afd0-something then you should

>suspect your /etc/fstab's / entry.

	The confusion arises between the boot loader and the kernel.  The

ATAPI Zip drives emulate an IDE hard drive, so for example one installed
as

the primary IDE master would show up as "ad0c" to the loader.  If you
then select

0:ad(0,c) kernel

It'll boot fine until it tries to remount / as r-w.  The devices have
been probed

and now / is being recognized as afd0c, not ad0c.  I've tried both
entries

in /etc/fstab, neither work.

This wouldn't seem to be a fatal problem, since FreeBSD will prompt you

for a manual location of /.  But overriding the fstab doesn't work -
here's an old

message containing a capture of this behavior, using a Zip configured as
/dev/afd0a.

--------------------

<<CAPTURE>

ATAPI> [239/64/32] at ata0-master using PIO3

Mounting root from ufs:ad0s1a

Root mount failed: 6

Mounting root from ufs:ad0sa

Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:

	<<fstype>:<<device>  Mount <<device> using filesystem <<fstype>

				eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a

	?		List valid disk boot devices

	<<empty line>	Abort manual input

mountroot>  /dev/afd0a

Mounting root from /dev/afd0a

Root mount failed: 22

mountroot> ufs:/dev/afd0a

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/afd0a

spec_getpages:(#afd/0) IO read failure: (error=0) bp 0xc1c78438 vp
0xc5ae1d40

	size: 53248, resid: 32768, a_count: 53248, valid: 0x0

	nread: 20480, reqpage: 7, pindex: 51, pcount: 13

vm_fault:  pager read error, pid 1 (init)

Nov  28  10:31:15 init: setlogin() failed: Bad address

spec_getpages:(#afd/0) IO read failure: (error=0) bp 0xc1c78438 vp
0xc5ae1d40

	size: 57344, resid: 32768, a_count: 57344, valid: 0x0

	nread: 24576, reqpage: 7, pindex: 73, pcount: 14

vm_fault:  pager read error, pid 6 (sh)

pid 6 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 11

Nov 28  10:31:16 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to
single

user mode

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /sbin/sh:

</fontfamily>

<</CAPTURE>

	As you can see, manually selecting "/dev/afd0a" seems to be a valid
option.  However, once / is mounted, I get a series of read errors.
There's more, though.  If I hit "enter" a few times, it manages to
execute /bin/sh and give me a prompt.

At this point, most any command I type that isn't a shell builtin results
in a few inital read failures followed by any number of successful
operations. For example, if I tried to 'newfs' a partition, the first two
attempts fail, and then I can 'newfs' as many partitions as I need.
Seems like a caching issue, as if the latency of the drive exceeds the
driver's expectation.   This should not be an issue if it's using the
"afd" driver.

I'm wondering if this kind of operation is even supported?  There don't
seem to be any problems with the drive or the media, I can read and write
files w/o errors with the drive mounted on a running system.

Thanks,

Mark Staudinger

mark@etinc.com