Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:02:29 -0700
From:      "Chris McCluskey" <chris@digitaldeck.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VPN Solutions for Win 2K/XP -> FreeBSD (Possible FAQ entry)

Where is the FBSD security mailing list FAQ?

If this question is in the FAQ please excuse the repeat, if it's not then
perhaps it couple be added:

I'm looking for a solution to allow a  Win 2K/XP client to tunnel though a
FreeBSD box to a LAN, meeting the following requirements:

1. The VPN server (a FreeBSD machine) is running NAT so the VPN solution
must be compatible.

2. I would like to use the stock MS VPN connection tools (PPTP/L2TP) to keep
things simple for the MS end users.

3. If possible I would like to keep the certificate management down to a
minimum -- possibly using local user level authentication in preference to a
preshared CA cert.

Does anyone have any experience and good stories in this area? I have looked
at a variety of solutions on the Internet, but all that I have found either
requires manual adjustment of security policy
(http://www.wiretapped.net/~fyre/ipsec/) -- which I'm not sure if my MS end
users could do without incident) or others involving complications with NAT
(http://www.sigsegv.cx/FreeBSD-WIN2K-IPSEC-HOWTO.html). Any pointers to the
"cleanest path" would be appreciated.

Thank you.