Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:33:35 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: graphics programd like xpaint and gimp.

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	I finally realized why I couldn't change the solid-color bg
> 	with xpaint.  The bucket [icon] is missing; the documentation
> 	doesn't reflect this...  But *anyway*, to other things-graphic.
>
> 	With gimp, is it possible to create polygons?  How about a
> 	5-pointed star?   Or 6- or 7-pointed star?   I have found some
> 	images of what I'm looking for thru Google/images, but the
> 	bavkgrounf is not solid for some images, &c.  Also, it is
> 	possible to join two or three (already-drawn, on-disk) images
> 	with gimp?  I'm thinking of a circle surrounding a hexagon
> 	surrounding a square, e.g.
>
> 	--Part of this is just-for-fun curiosity before
> 	I get back to my studies; part of it is to try to create designs
> 	for my jottings pages.
>
> 	thanks for any insights,
>
> 	gary

Wondered this myself. The first Google result on 'polygons gimp'
returned the GFig component accessed via filters->render->gfig. Made a 6
pointed star inside a circle inside a square in seconds. For joining
images you may need to read up on the gimp. Specifically copy, paste,
layers, transparency, masks, and canvas sizes are just some of the
basics that you might have to deal with.

HTH,
Micah