Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 09:41:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, mrm@Mole.ORG, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi question

According to Annelise Anderson:

> I would not have bothered to write this reply were it not that people
> who learn Unix really ought to learn vi, since it is the
> universal Unix text editor; pico seems to be a poor little thing by
> comparison; and one can hardly expect a new user to learn emacs just
> to edit a few files in /etc.  So vi seems more or less inevitable, and
> it really deserves a task-oriented three or four pages.
>
> Actually I like vi, and I've figured out how to make it do most of
> the listed tasks.

		It just occured to me that I have a small
		(132-line, 4500-byte) HowTo file on vi.

		I found this some forgotten where several
		years ago when running a public-access system.
		Half or fewer of my users knew vi and this
		introductory file gave them a quick hand-up.

		Who should I send this to in the FreeBSD
		world?  Is anybody interested?

		gary kline