Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 22:50:22 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passing file descriptors via UNIX domain sockets

One caveat (I had to learn the hard way!) is that you *must* also
pass some data in the oivec.  If you don't, the descriptor isn't
passed.  Also, make sure you get an acknowledgement from the other
side before closing the descriptor.  If you close it while it's in
transit, the other side will receive a closed descriptor as the open
count isn't incremented as it's passed (in case the other side never
does a recvmsg()).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>