Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 07:33:36 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: options DPT_LOST_IRQ

>> >This option is necessary due to interrupts being eaten by the serial
>> >driver 'fast interrupt' code (which in some cases blocks interrupts
>> >longer than the DPT assert them).

It's surprising that hardware more expensive than a $0.25 printer
interface does that.  Some OS's sometimes block interrupts for several
msec.  FreeBSD only sometimes blocks "slow" interrupts for several msec.
If the DPT interrupt is shared with another (slow) interrupt, then it
will be blocked when the handler for the other interrupt runs, anyway.

>For all their efficiency benefits, I think fast interrupts are Evil.

What efficiency benefits are those?  The main point of fast interrupts
is to preempt braindamaged slow interrupt handlers that sometimes block
interrupts for several msec (or even 100 usec), so that we don't have
to rewrite all the braindamaged handlers or actively schedule them.
(There are some minor efficiency benefits, mostly from not having to
fiddle with the PIC.)

Bruce