Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:49:52 -0500
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chroot - security alternatives?

Ok. Lets try this again. Simply: I'm ftping into a box, where the home
directory on the box is an nfs mount. This is what happens:

drew@leila(~)$ ftp ftp.otherserver.com
Connected to ftp.otherserver.com.
220 ftp.otherserver.com FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
Name (ftp.otherserver.com:drew): username
331 Password required for username.
Password:
550 Can't change root.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

The users name does appear in the /etc/ftpchroot file. The system is
trying to chroot, but its obviously failing. I hope this makes things
clearer. Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry I wasn't clear the first time.

--
Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator