Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 10:53:20 -0400
From:      "John Straiton" <jks@clickcom.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RAID Controller + 4.0

My assistant recently ordered a machine for our use here but failed to check
the HCL for 4.0, and therefore ordered a 2400 series Dell Poweredge that
uses the PERC 2/Si 64MB RAID controller. Now I've checked the mailing list
archives and haven't been too happy with what I'm seeing. The only one with
a smidgin of hope was:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=156897+159028+/usr/local/www/db/
text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000123.freebsd-questions

However it seems to lend to 4.0-current (which I would imagine JAN's version
of is now RELEASE)
as having support for it but I can assure you that unless it's something you
have to enable specifically during install, it's not. I would just try the
3.0 solution provided there however the Dell comes without IDE or UWSCSI
ports on it, either of which I would have a HD for, instead only having a
50pin scsi port on it for which I do not have a drive to test with.

I would ask if anyone has had any success with any workaround, if not, if
you had any suggestions on things I could *try* as a workaround. And of
course, lastly, if anyone has a simple
recommendation as to which card they would buy right now in lieu of the PERC
we existingly have I would be in your debt.

John Straiton
ClickCom, Inc.
jks@clickcom.com
(704)365-9970x101