Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:13:36 -0800
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@ns.frihet.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Find, Rm, and Root's Crontab

I'm being overwhelmed by exmh "#" files, so I investigated why they haven't
seemed to go away on another machine since it was upgraded from Freebsd 1.1.5
(!) to the latest Stable.  The answer is a very paranoid sounding and not
very informative set of comment lines in /etc/daily.

My next step was a search of the FreeBSD security e-mail archives.  I don't
seem to get along well enough with the mail archive search engine to be able
to make it show an entire thread.  It did find Chris Layne's forward of the
original message pointing out that find and rm in /etc/daily constitute s
security hole, given the weaknesses of each.  The search engine didn't tell
me anything about any decision as to what should be done.

The original Linux poster's solution is offensive to me (sings all, dances
all, deletes all, and written in Pearl).  Potential solutions that appeal
more to my simpler-is-better sensibilities are: fixing find not to get
confused, and writing (in C!) an rm subset look-alike that won't follow
symbolic links.  A search of the Gnats data base failed to turn up any
evidence of a choice having been made.

So, what's the plan?  Are we going to do anything beyond distributing
/etc/daily with junk file elimination disabled?  If so, what?  And can I help?
--
David E. Tweten           |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:  |  tweten@frihet.com
12141 Atrium Drive        |   E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90   |     tweten@and.com