Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:48:31 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        gilley <gilley@netunlimited.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Is this illegal?]

On Fri, 13 March 1998 at 19:09:52 +0000, gilley wrote:

> I noticed the following output from my ISP.
> Can they run academic versions for profit?

That depends on the licensing.

>  Also I have seen that they run "Unregested BSD"
>  for there servers. It does not say FreeBSD. Can
>  They do that? I know linux is completely free
>  but the only version of BSD they could use would
>  be FreeBSD or NetBSD, yes?

I don't see why your ISP shouldn't be running FreeBSD.  A large number
do.  But neither FreeBSD nor NetBSD produce a message "unregistered
BSD".

>                Please let me know if they are doing
>  something illegal here.

You should try to find out what version of BSD they're running.
Possibly it's a demo version of BSD/OS, in which case there's a chance
that they are doing something in contravention of the license.  If you
can get shell access to the machine, 'uname -a' will tell you.  You
could also check with BSDI, I suppose.

Greg