Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:36:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        jmccsd@bellatlantic.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I use FREEBSD as a router for my network with only 1 IP address?

John M Carini (jmccsd) is responsible for:
> I have a small home LAN - 1 95 box, 1NT & 1 AS400
>
> Mys ISP gives me a dynamically assigned IP address.
>
> The AS400 requires a static IP - Igave it 192.168.0.1 & would like to
> keep it there.
>
> I would like the ability to TELNET to the AS400 from the net (for
> instance) at 192.168.0.1 on the local network and ftp to the NT box at
> 192.168.0.2.
>
> I have no experience with unix.
>
> I have a small 386 with 8 meg that I could use to run freebsd & I have
> many questions.
>
> 1. Can I do this kind of routing?
Absolutely.

> 2. If so what functions within FREEBSD do I need to invoke?
It depends on how you want to set things up.

> 3. Is it required that the box running FREEBSD also be connected to the
> net using PPP?
Shouldn't be required but is probably better than using Win95
to connect.

> 4. Can teh FREEBSD box use an internal modem?
Yes.

> 5. Is there some way to have the FREEBSD box automatically dial my ISP &
> redial if the line drops?
Yes.

> 6. Is there some way I can broadcast my dynamically assigned IP so that
> it can be found and used for connection. (I have a product for 95 that
> does this)
I'm not sure about what you mean by broadcast.  If I were in you
shoes, I'd use the FreeBSD box to dial out and maintain the
connection.  After it dials, I'd have it send email to a account
you have on a fully connected computer with it's dynamic address.
When you want to telnet to a machine at home, check your email,
get the address, and telnet to the FreeBSD box.  Then telnet to
the machines on your local network from there.  This is (I think)
the simplest way to do things.  I do know of people who have set
up Linux routers where you telnet to a specific port to get a
particular machine.  I think they patched telnetd to do it.