Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:30:26 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Orielly book

Greg Lehey wrote:
> > AFAIK the orielly books are fairly technical generally, maybe for Linux they
> > can afford to produce a couple of simple "here's a getting started guide" type
> > books, but probably not for FreeBSD.
>
> Well, I'm an O'Reilly author ("Porting UNIX Software"), and I
> disagree.  I'd say that, for example, Addison-Wesley are more
> technical.

	I've really liked most of the O'Reilly books.  But I have to admit that
a large portion of their books are for the mid range knowledge on the
subject.  However many of those are great resources, the the Camel book
for Perl.
I recently bought the MySQL/mSQL book and I was really disappointed.
This is one book that I wonder what O'Reilly was thinking.  I realize it
may be hard because I've been spoiled by the great online docs for
MySQL, but I was really hoping for something that would have more in
depth info on stuff like scaling issues, replicating DB's, and such.

> OK, for the sake of discussion, which publisher do you people prefer?
> Addison Wesley or O'Reilly?  I'm also discussing a book with AW, and I
> could do with some input.

	In general I would say O'Reilly, I still think they have a great rep.
However in my case I would probably buy a FreeBSD book done by either
one ( or both if that was the case ).

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu