Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:43:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD version of Linux's "passwd -l"

--- Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> "man pw lock" doesn't do what you think it does. It displays the man
> page for pw(8), then the man page for lock(1).

hmmm... you're right.  thank you.

however, i'm still confused about this.

this is what i found from the lock option in 'pw' after looking again.

--------
USER LOCKING
Pw supports a simple password locking mechanism for users; it works by
prepending the string `*LOCKED*' to the beginning of the password field
in master.passwd to prevent successful authentication.

The lock and unlock commands take a user name or uid of the account to
lock or unlock, respectively.  The -V, -C, and -q options as described
above are accepted by these commands.
---------

my confusion lies with the fact that, to me at least, this doesn't seem
similar to what the "passwd -l" in the fact that the account is still
availible to root.  they both seem to lock the account... but can someone
explain how the account is still used by root if it's locked?