Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:39:25 -0400
From:      Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.4, Apache, and MySQL

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4 on a dual Pentium 550 box with 512 MB RAM that
is colocated at my ISP.

We're running Apache 1.3.12 with mod_perl and a slew of options plus
MySQL 3.22.27.

Our main web page is a perl script that draws info from the MySQL
database.

Occasionally, mysqld skyrockets in CPU usage until it's at 97%+.  The
server stops responding and the only way to get it to stop is to log in
as mysqladmin, shut it down, then restart safe_mysql.

None of the logs (FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL) show any errors at that time.

It only seems to happen during business hours.

Any ideas of what it could be, and more importantly, how to stop it?

Thanks,

SeanMike

--
SeanMike Whipkey - Damnit.  Where's my witty repartee?
"Ow! Ow! Ow!  I had to go after mutants, didn't I?  I couldn't just