Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:38:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEWCARD, devd, sio and PCCARD_FUNCTION_SERIAL cards

Dear Warner and Hackers,

--- "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> In message: <20021222014249.29623.qmail@web40310.mail.yahoo.com>
>             Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com> writes:
> : > :
> : > : Is there any way (on -current with NEWCARD) "devd" can
> : > : prevent "sio" driver from attaching to *ANY* pc-card
> : > : that has PCCARD_FUNCTION_SERIAL?
> : >
> : > Sure.  Just have sio_pccard_match return -100.  I've just committed
> : > the change to do this.  No need to do anything else, I think.
> :
> : Nope :( It does not work. I applied patch to /sys/dev/sio/sio_pccard.c
> : and recompile my kernel with NEWCARD. It seems devd pays no attention
> : when i plug or unplug the 3COM card. I have attached dmesg output and
> : my devd.conf file. I was trying to get devd to kldload ng_bt3c module,
> : but it did not work. Am i missing something obvious here?
>
> Yes.  You need to have ng_bt3c loaded before you insert the card.
> That's because of three reasons:
>
> 1) We don't detach a device when it 'won' the bidding on the device
>    with a bid < 0 when a new driver is loaded.
> 2) There device is known, so devctl doesn't report anything to devd
>    because it is known (it will report the sio attach).
> 3) devd ignores all unknown devices at the current time.
>
> I'm working on most of these issues, but not the 'rescan' issue.

Cool. It works if i kldload ng_bt3c before i insert the card.
However i could not get devd to execute proper "attach" commands
from the config file. It seems devd always wants to execute

/etc/devd-generic {start|stop} device

I took a quick look at the devd sources and could not find the
place where devd calls proper "attach" commands from the config
file. I saw few XXX comments in process_event() function and
almost convince myself that this is not done yet :) Anyway this
is not a big problem for me :)

thanks,
max